Related SDGs: SDG 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16
Keywords: Risk-informed Governance, Innovation, Frontier Technologies, Disaster Risk Reduction, Resilience
This training toolkit seeks to build national capacities to spearhead innovations and utilize Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) and key frontier technologies in government in order to drive DRR and resilience. Special emphasis is given to public service innovations that serve the needs of countries in special situations, including methods for adapting and scaling them to align them with the national context. The materials presented and the activities that are part of the training toolkit aim at exploring the mechanisms for access, adoption, uptake, finance, and maintenance of emerging technology in practical formats that seek to advance public sector capacities for risk-informed policymaking and resilience.
Upon completion of the training, learners will have:
Gained an understanding of the need and policy relevance of:
1. Promoting risk-informed governance and innovative technology for DRR and resilience.
2. Closing technology gaps and establishing public governance frameworks for DRR and sustainable development in countries in special situations.
Assessed and analyzed the progress, status and challenges at the national level in:
3. Promoting the adoption of digital government solutions and pursuing public service innovation for resilience.
4. Expanding the uptake of frontier technologies for DRR and resilience through a self-assessment, peer-to-peer leaning; knowledge-sharing, and discussions.
Identified and discussed how to apply various innovative approaches, strategies, and practices for:
5. Leverage innovations in technology through public programs and finance and technology transfer; and
6. Measuring progress on resilience for strengthened institutions through frontier technologies, particularly in the application of concepts on how to establish public governance frameworks to close technology gaps for DRR and building resilience in vulnerable states; being equipped with knowledge of how digital government solutions can be implemented to promote public service innovation for resilience; and defining the strategies and roadmap on how to promote government innovation and expand the adoption of frontier technologies for disaster risk reduction and resilience.
Content and Structure
The Toolkit is comprised of the following modules and sessions that can be used to conduct regional or national training workshop:
Science, Technology, and Government Innovation in Public Governance for DRR and Resilience
Welcome and Course Introduction
Module 1.1: Risk-Informed Governance for DRR and Resilience
Module 1.2: Science, Technology, and Innovation for Risk-informed Governance
Module 1.3: Global, Regional, and National Efforts to Advance Innovative Technologies Use in DRR and Resilience
Module 1.4: Risk- informed Governance and Innovative Technology for Public Health Emergencies
Practical and Planned Application of Emerging Technology and Government Innovation for DRR and Resilience
Module 2.1: Extending Our Reach and Expanding Our Capabilities
Site Visit: Innovative Technologies for DRR and Resilience in Practice
Module 2.2: Changing How We Make and Acquire Things
Module 2.3: Connecting People, Things, and Technology
Module 2.4: Improving Data Analysis and the Presentation of Information
Module 2.5: Humans as a Resource
Training: Big Data Analysis
Implementation of Emerging Technologies and Government Innovation for DRR and Resilience
Module 3.1: Implementing and Financing Technology Solutions
Module 3.2: Technology Gaps and Challenges to Implementation of Innovative Technologies for DRR and Resilience
Module 3.3: Measuring Progress: Monitoring and Evaluation of Implementation Efforts
- Government officials and Public Institutions leading SDG Implementation and Sendai Framework for DRR
- Schools of Public Administration and related institutions
- UN Country Teams and UN Agencies
- Other relevant stakeholder, including civil society organizations, NGO’s, private sector, and academia
Terms and Conditions of use for the Curriculum on Governance for the SDGs
Handbook on Risk-informed Governance and Innovative Technology for Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
The training toolkit is free of charge. If you have any questions about the toolkit, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Toolkit Package