The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), through its Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG) and its Project Office on Governance (UNPOG), and the International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration (IASIA) are co-organizing the First Meeting of the IASIA/UN DESA Task Force for the Review and/or Update of the Standards of Excellence for Public Administration Education and Training, which will be held on April 18, 2023 from 8 to 10:30 a.m. NY Time.
The Standards of excellence were finalized in 2008 almost 15 years ago. While the Standards are still relevant today, they do not refer to recent inter-governmental agreements and to the insights from the work undertaken by UN DESA/DPIDG and IASIA in the area of education and training.
Most notably, the Standards were issued before the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted by 193 Member States. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development recognizes the importance of ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all (Goal 4) and the need to build peaceful, just and inclusive societies that provide equal access to justice and that are based on respect for human rights (including the right to development), on effective rule of law and good governance at all levels. Goal 16 of the 2030 Agenda specifically calls for effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels. Indeed, public institutions play a critical role in the achievement of all the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and targets.
The aim of the First Meeting of the IASIA/UN DESA Task Force for the Review and/or Update the Standards of Excellence for Public Administration Education and Training is to:
- Sharing the rationale and considerations behind the creation of the Taskforce;
- Introducing the Members of the Taskforce;
- Providing an overview of the scope of the IASIA/UN DESA Task Force’s mandate and work;
- Highlighting and discuss the role of the Task Force members;
- Agreeing on a Roadmap and timeline for the Task Force’s activities.
Background Information on the 2008 Standards of Excellence for Public Administration Education and Training
First Meeting of the UN DESA/IASIA Task Force for the Review of the Standards of Excellence for Public Administration Education and Training
Roadmap and Timeline of the Review and Update of the Standards of Excellence for Public Administration Education and Training
Regional online meetings
Expert Group Meeting for the Update and Review of the Standards of Excellence in Public Administration Teaching and Education
Flyer of the UN DESA/IASIA Initiative on the Review and Update of the Standards of Excellence
Download informational booklet
For Substantive Matters:
- Adriana Alberti, Chief, Programme Management and Capacity Development and Unit, DPIDG/UN DESA, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cristina A. Rodriguez-Acosta, Interregional Adviser, DPIDG/UN DESA, email@example.com
For Administrative Matters:
- Ms. Rosanne Greco, Programme Assistant, DPIDG/UN DESA, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Gregory McGann, email@example.com